The former Castleford Giants star was free to play for the Super League side on November 8 upon completion of his 14-month drugs ban
Zak Hardaker has been charged with drink-driving, his club Wigan Warriors have confirmed.
In a short statement, the club confirmed the full-back would appear in court on October 11 after being charged on Tuesday.
Wigan announced Hardaker’s signing in May, effective from November, as he serves a 14-month ban for cocaine use.
Castleford sacked the 2015 Man of Steel following his positive drugs test on the eve of last season’s Grand Final defeat to Leeds.
Speaking at the time of his Warriors switch, Hardaker said: “I believe things happen for a reason and now I’m looking forward to this move to Wigan.”
But Wigan said on Thursday: “The player is co-operating with the Police investigation. Wigan Warriors will allow the legal process to take its course.”
Sam Burgess cleared of any wrongdoing in 'lewd video' investigation
Catalans Dragons release Fouad Yaha as winger switches codes and joins Agen
Staying down under
Burgess commits future to South Sydney with new long term deal
Catalans Dragons secure historic upset win over Warrington in Challenge Cup final
hanging up the boots
Widnes hooker Aaron Heremaia to retire at end of Super League season
Catalans Dragons winger Jodie Broughton to miss start of 2019 season
The 26-year-old was just two months away from completing a 14-month ban after testing positive for cocaine in September last year. The club said he would be permitted to train with them two months before that.
Warriors chairman Ian Lenagan said: “This wasn’t a decision that we made lightly.
“We recognise the serious nature of this incident and our choice in offering this opportunity should not be seen as condoning his actions in any way.”
Lenagan added: “We had extensive conversations with Zak and his family before making our offer.”