It’s been a positive start to the season for Arsenal, but Monday’s clash against Sheffield United has fans worried as the Gunners have not enjoyed much Premier League success in the Steel City.
The Gunners have only lost once all season in all competitions and are currently fifth in the league, outside the top four by only two points.
Their match against the Blades on Monday may prove a difficult test even though it is a game Unai Emery’s side should win on paper.
The newly-promoted side have caused problems for some of the Premier League’s top teams this season, and they’ve not lost by more than one goal in any of their eight games so far.
And there is bad omen for the Gunners heading into the clash.
Sheffield has not been a happy hunting ground for Arsenal historically, especially since the Premier League era began in 1992.
They have only won once in the Steel City in 11 attempts, and that was all the way back in 1993! Of the other ten matches, the Gunners have lost six and drawn four.
Arsenal’s Premier League record in Sheffield
- December 2006 – Sheffield United 1-0 Arsenal (L)
- January 2000 – Sheffield Wednesday 1-1 Arsenal (D)
- September 1998 – Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Arsenal (L)
- November 1997 – Sheffield Wednesday 2-0 Arsenal (L)
- December 1996 – Sheffield Wednesday 0-0 Arsenal (D)
- April 1996 – Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Arsenal (L)
- February 1995 – Sheffield Wednesday 3-1 Arsenal (L)
- April 1994 – Sheffield United 1-1 Arsenal (D)
- August 1993 – Sheffield Wednesday 0-1 Arsenal (W)
- May 1993 – Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Arsenal (L)
- Jan 1993 – Sheffield United 1-1 Arsenal (D)
The last time Arsenal played a league clash in the city was 2006 and a lot has changed since then, but their early record in the 1990s and 2000s is dismal.
Ian Wright was the man to score the only goal of the game on August 21, 1993 when the Gunners last won in Sheffield, against United’s fierce rivals Wednesday.
Fans of the north London club may also remember an unhappy trip to Hillsborough in 2015 when they lost 3-0 in the League Cup.
Arsenal’s last trip to Sheffield United came in the League Cup in 2007 when they won 3-0, with Eduardo scoring twice and Denilson adding a third.
Saturday is GameDay on talkSPORT as we bring you THREE live Premier League commentaries across our network