The 29-year-old has always maintained his innocence after reports he had been caught up in a sexting scandal
England forward Sam Burgess is considering legal action after being cleared of any wrongdoing over a sexting scandal in Australia.
The England forward had been at the centre of allegations of a lewd video chat involving South Sydney players.
Reports in Australia claimed one of Burgess’ social media accounts had been used to send inappropriate images to a woman following a match in May.
Burgess vigorously denied any wrongdoing and a joint investigation by the NRL and the Rabbitohs has found the 29-year-old and his teammates have no case to answer.
In a statement on Friday, the Sydney club said the woman was seen by NRL integrity unit investigator Karyn Murphy but declined to be interviewed by the investigating panel and it concluded that no player had broken any rules.
“Based on a thorough review of the available evidence before it, the panel was not satisfied that any South Sydney player engaged in any actionable misconduct resulting in a breach of their NRL playing contract, the NRL rules or the SSFC code of conduct,” the club said.
what a finish
Anthony Joshua stops Alexander Povetkin to retain world heavyweight titles
Anthony Joshua v Alexander Povetkin: Updates and results from undercard
How will the rain affect Anthony Joshua's ring walk at Wembley?
Anthony Joshua v Alexander Povetkin: Live and exclusive commentary on talkSPORT
Who is fighting on the undercard of Anthony Joshua v Alexander Povetkin?
How much bigger and heavier is Anthony Joshua than Alexander Povetkin?
LIVE ON TALKSPORT
Anthony Joshua vs Alexander Povetkin: Tale of the tape
What time does the Anthony Joshua vs Alexander Povetkin fight start tonight?
Watch Alexander Povetkin viciously KO David Price ahead of Anthony Joshua fight
Date finally confirmed for Fury v Wilder title fight
The Rugby League Players’ Association (RLPA) issued a statement supporting the club’s position and Burgess took to social media to express his innocence.
“I have not sexted anyone,” the former Bradford prop said on his Twitter account.
“I fully cooperated with the inquiry as I said I would. I have engaged lawyer Chris Murphy to pursue my remedies and he has retained defamation lawyers.
“I have given a full account to the inquiry and answered every question asked. It’s now in Mr Murphy’s hands. The next move is up to him. I have nothing more to say at this stage.”
The incident overshadowed the Rabbitohs’ semi-final win over St George Illawarra last weekend and dominated the build-up to Saturday’s Grand Final qualifier against Sydney Roosters.
An emotional Burgess fronted the media this week, when he thanked his wife and family for their support and said he was “happy for the truth to come out”.
Burgess, who played in the 2015 Rugby Union World Cup during a brief stint with Bath, last month signed a four-year extension to his contract which will keep him at South Sydney until the end of 2023.