The British promoter has tabled a new bid in the aftermath of the fight’s initial collapse
Anthony Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn declared he has submitted a new $ 20m offer to Deontay Wilder for his next two fights, the second of which would be Anthony Joshua.
The undisputed heavyweight title fight initially collapsed earlier this week when the WBA lost patience with both camps who had failed to produce signed contracts for the bout, despite claiming to have a $ 15m deal agreed.
As a result, the governing body decreed that Joshua must face his mandatory challenger Alexander Povetkin next, a fight rumoured to be likely for September 22.
However, in an interview with IFL TV on Wednesday, Hearn explained the situation from his side and revealed a new offer he has now made to Deontay Wilder
“There is some great news,” Hearn explained, “the truth is going to come out because I haven’t withdrawn the offer.
“Last night I sent Deontay Wilder an email, the offer is still there of $ 15m to fight [Anthony Joshua] on the next available date, April 13th at Wembley Stadium
“And I’ll give you $ 5m for a tick over in September or October against an opponent of your choice in New York.”
It is assumed that this $ 5m “tick over” would take place on Eddie Hearn’s new DAZN streaming platform in the United States.
Wilder’s co-manager Shelly Finkel gave their side of the argument to World Boxing News yesterday.
“The fact is they didn’t want this fight,” he stated.
Deontay Wilder’s team confirm Anthony Joshua fight will not happen until 2019
Everything on Joshua v Wilder/Povetkin, plus Khan's likely next opponent
WBA order Anthony Joshua to sign Alexander Povetkin fight within next 24 hours
Watch Ukrainian boxer make his way to the ring on the back of a horse
Watch confrontation as Martin Murray shoves opponent at weigh-in
‘How can we sign if they don’t respond?’ – Joshua v Wilder in doubt?
Amir Khan fight announced next week, likely date and venue revealed
ALL BRITISH BASH
Billy Joe Saunders v James DeGale could be on for September
Adrien Broner ‘retires’ from boxing, claims he is done with the sport
Tyson Fury makes U-turn about domestic heavyweight clash
Watch trailer for new Rocky boxing film – Creed II
GET IT DONE
Eddie Hearn reveals what Wilder’s team must do to get Joshua next
“He asked for $ 50m, never thinking we’d come up with it. When we came up with it, he said, ‘I don’t want to fight in the United States, I’ll take it for less in the UK.’
“He sent us a bull**** offer [$ 15m] thinking we’ll never take it, and we took it.
“Then they said, ‘what do we do now?’ Let’s send them a contract. Except, the contract doesn’t have when the fight will be or where it will be.”