Dillian Whyte tells talkSPORT he is ‘mentally and physically ready’ to face Anthony Joshua

Dillian Whyte has told talkSPORT he is ‘mentally and physically ready’ to face old foe Anthony Joshua following the heavyweight champion’s victory over Alexander Povetkin.

Joshua successfully defended his IBF, WBA and WBO heavyweight belts by knocking out the Russian in the seventh round at Wembley Stadium on Saturday night.

The 28-year-old’s next goal is to have a shot at becoming the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world against WBC title-holder Deontay Wilder.

But Whyte, 30, is second in line to be in the opposite corner for Joshua’s next Wembley fight, which is already pencilled in for April 13 2019.

The British pair have history.

Whyte beat Joshua in his first fight at amateur level back in 2009, winning by unanimous decision over three rounds, but Joshua later got his own back on the professional stage with Whyte suffering a seventh round knock-out in what remains his only defeat in 25 fights.

Joshua defeated Whyte at the o2 Arena back in 2015 – it remains the only defeat of his career

Joshua defeated Whyte at the o2 Arena back in 2015 – it remains the only defeat of his career

However, the Jamaica-born, Brixton-raised boxer has come a long way since then and is widely considered one of the top heavyweights currently fighting.

And with a rematch on the cards, Whyte told talkSPORT host Jim White on Monday that he is all-in.

Asked about a potential rematch against his old foe, Whyte said: “I would relish it.

“I thought Povetkin exposed him a bit. Joshua didn’t look as good.

“We fought twice already, it’s 1-1, and I believe the third time we get in the ring in will knock him out.

“Last time I came very close and I wasn’t the fittest mentally or physically. I wasn’t in a good place at the time. I was injury ridden.

Whyte was far from his physical peak in his first professional bout against Joshua

Whyte was far from his physical peak in his first professional bout against Joshua

“This time around I’m in a better place, so yes, 100 per cent I would fight him.

“The rematch has come at the right stage of my career.

“I’ve done a lot of mental and physical development over the last two or three years.

“I know and believe I’m ready for anyone in the ring and we could make this deal done within a week.”

Listen back to Dillian Whyte on talkSPORT above

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Boxing – talkSPORT

Leave a Reply