The duo are keen to agree to a rematch on December 22, but had previously been unable to agree terms
Derek Chisora and Dillian Whyte have agreed in principle to fight once again on December 22 after bumping into one another at the Anthony Joshua weigh-in.
The undefeated Brit takes on Alexander Povetkin live on talkSPORT on Saturday night from Wembley, but much of the attention from Friday’s weigh-in was devoted to his two stablemates.
Chisora and Whyte fought in 2016 in a pulsating heavyweight affair which turned into an absolute slugfest, ending with Whyte having his hand raised in a somewhat controversial manner.
After months of vile insults and confrontations which threatened to boil over, the pair delivered a fantastic contest – a worthy candidate for Fight of the Year.
And now, almost two years since their first fight, a deal appears to be close for them to do it again.
In a video on Chisora’s Twitter page, Whyte can be seen offering the 30-year-old a £5million cheque.
Upon hearing this offer, Whyte duly shakes his hand and claims the fight is on.
Speaking to Sky Sports News afterwards to clarify, Whyte said: “With Dereck Chisora you never know. He said he was going to write me a cheque for £5m to take the fight, so I said I’ll sit and wait for the cheque to come. Please make sure it doesn’t bounce. We’ll see.
“I don’t know where he’s going to get £5m from, but let’s see what happens.”
Whyte has also been tipped to fight former foe Anthony Joshua once again, after he handed him his first professional loss in 2015.
However, the WBC silver belt holder is willing to put future plans on hold to finally end his long-running feud with Chisora.
“Listen, I’m ready to go whenever,” he said. “I want to put a key in that, and turn it, and throw it away forever.
“I believe if Dereck Chisora fights me it will be his last fight. The comeback king will be gone forever.”